Thursday, June 2, 2011

How to Produce a Stool Sample


This is the story of my unfortunate trip to the medical clinic here in Urubamba. I had been having diarrhea for a few days, so Kate, our site director, went with me to get me checked out. The doctor decided that I should have some tests done, so we headed up to the lab where the technician asked me for a stool sample. It’s not every day that you’re asked to defecate on demand. She hands me a few tools, and I enter the bathroom. Outside the unusually thin door, I hear Kate and the lady chatting; I’m fairly sure that every one of my bowel movements will make it through the door with embarrassing clarity. I survey the tools that I have at my disposal: a clear container and a Popsicle stick. I try the container on for size and decide that it is much too small to warrant a direct transaction. That must be what the Popsicle stick is for! After finishing my business I employ the Popsicle stick to scoop a sizable stool sample into the container. I emerge victoriously and proudly hand my container of poo to the lady.


Posted by Dave Balthazar

No comments:

Post a Comment